Friday, May 2, 2008

Most Injured Teacher of the Year

I have now racked up 5 industrial accidents. Crazy huh? I have people scratching their heads over this.I was going to watch my JV softball girls play since I have so many in choir and then a foul ball got hit out of bound right in front of me, so I went down into a ditch to get the all thinking I would be nice. I like sports. Wouldn't you know it, when I went into the ditch to get the ball, I sprained my ankle. The Asst. Principal who is in charge of the industrial accidents at the high school said I should have spoken to him so I could get the paper work. I had to go see the Vice Principal in his office during my prep period.

MissD: Wow, in high school, I never got in trouble. I got Saturday school only once and I was terrified. I'm sitting here and I feel like I'm in trouble.
VPrin: That's funny. No, you certainly aren't in trouble.
MissD: Well, do I win an award for most injured employee?
VPrin: Well, I don't think I have ever had anyone be injured as much as you have been. So, what were you wearing? Dress shoes or tennis shoes?
MissD: Um...dressy shoes. I would actually say dressy casual. And black pants--capri pants actually. I looked really cute.
VPrin: And your shirt?
MissD: Oh yes, it was a cotton peasant shirt--DKNY. Are you going to write that on the form?
VPrin: Um, I'll put that in parenthesis. He seemed amused though.
MissD: I'm glad you're sort of laughing.
VPrin: Why didn't you come talk to me at the softball game?
MissD: Well, when I sprained my ankle right before the concert in December, I got chewed out by the superintendent and he said it looked like I was walking just fine, but I had a concert to do. I did the whole concert standing on one leg. And I feel bad that I've gotten hurt so much at work. I thought also they would count it as a recurrence since my file is still open with the the prior injury.

VPrin: Well, you got hurt and I feel bad that you were hurt. Next time tell me right away.
He was actually sympathetic. And be careful. No getting balls in ditches anymore.
MissD: I guess I forget that I'm not 17 anymore.

And while I thought he was a sympathetic soul who was on my side, he then changed his tone.

VPrin:  I thought about it, and I'm denying your claim.  You weren't technically working because it was after school.
MissD:  Yes, but don't you encourage teachers to support students in their activities?  I was trying to make a bridge to my students and show them that I care.
VPrin:  It was after school hours and you weren't required to be there.

There's something wrong with this.  Oh, well.  Back to the boot.  Pretty sure that's what they'll have me do.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog, it made me laugh. Hope you are okay!

Good luck!
Arj -