Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Nasty Little Rumors

The high school was having an open house and the 8th graders got a list of all the 9th grade teachers. I wasn't on it. I asked my little TA about the list.
D: I wonder why I'm not on it. I teach 9th graders.
Kid: You do?
D: Yes, I have all the grades in my class. Maybe it's because I'm an elective teacher. You can have me next year though. Don't you want to be in choir next year? We'll do songs from Wicked.

She got really quiet and looked sad.
Kid: Maybe you aren't on the list because you aren't going to be here next year. I heard they aren't going to have you back.
D: Really? Honey, I haven't heard anything. Where did you hear this? Sometimes people start rumors. Don't you think I would be the first to know?
Kid: Well, it's just that I heard it from my brother. He doesn't gossip. He's friends with alot of teachers.
D: Well, I haven't heard anything. As far as I know I plan to be back next year.

I have to admit I was a little upset. I've had problems this year with kids starting rumors about me. I honestly can't remember what half of them were. One was that I had told a kid he was excused from his homework for the week because of the choir concert. The principal of the junior high called me into the office for that. Unbelieveable.

It's also been really horrible following a teacher that all the kids say they loved. It happens all the time in choir programs. It takes time to rebuild a program after a much loved teacher leaves. I know they don't love me as much, except maybe a few who have told me that the other teacher hated them. Happens, right?

I found my union rep at the junior high. He basically told me that they would let me know in May. Probationary contracts are designed to be like a no-fault kind of thing. They can let you go as long as it's legal. Like they can't let you go because of race. But they can let you go if they just don't like you. Hmmm. That was a no answer kind of answer.

I then found my union rep at the high school. She had a different answer. If you didn't get a pink slip, you should be safe. The first year teachers they are letting go have already been notified and one of the positions has already been flown. You're good. Thanks be to God.

I have to admit, as much as I hate the little rumors, they really do have an impact. My afternoon was basically wrecked. The very least I could have go well in my life is to have a job for next year rather than spend my whole summer panicked about trying to find something.

0 comments: